How To Take The Best Self Portrait|Self Portraits Tips for Bloggers

How To Take the

Best Self Portrait

Self-portraits are the one way you can express yourself that you have complete control over. Whether you’re showing off an outfit of the day, or wanting to add photos to your website, these tips on how to take the best self-portrait will help you along the way.

What type of camera should I use for my Self Portrait?

I use aNikon D5200a Nikon D3100 DSLR (previous camera) for my portraits. I have an 18-55mm kit lens, a 50mm 1.8 lens, and a 55-200mm lens. The best lens for portraits would be the 50 mm 1.8, because it gives the best bokeh (depth of field-blurred background), but the kit lens would be fine to use as well. As far as DSLRs go, I would recommend the Nikon D3100 DSLR or the Canon Rebel T3i DSLR. They are both reasonably priced and are the equivalent of each other in rank.

Point & Shoot Cameras are great as well and there are a lot of good ones to choose from. I would highly recommend any point and shoot that is above 12 MP, because of the high print quality and computer screen quality.  The Canon Power Shot SX170 IS Digital Camera or the Nikon COOLPIX L820 Digital Camera.

What type of lighting should I use for my Self Portrait?

The best way to shoot a Self Portrait is to have great lighting. I would definitely recommend shooting outdoors because the more natural the better and the light is more appealing. The best times would be during the day, preferably the golden hour (6-9 am 3-5 pm). If you can’t shoot during those times, you can shoot in the shade to avoid the direct sunlight that can wash out your picture. The image will look a lot better after you edit them if you choose to.

If you shoot indoors, that’s great! Natural light, once again, is the best option for lighting. An open window or open door can provide you with the best light. If you lack the natural light you need to take indoor portraits, you can use photography lighting. The best way is to use the 3 point lighting system. This will help you achieve beautiful lighting.

How can I shoot my Self Portrait?

You can take your Self Portrait on your own by using a tripod and setting the self-timer or use a wireless remote trigger. Make sure to shoot from different angles with different expressions. Having lots of options to choose from will help you to select the best photos from your photo shoot.

Where should I shoot my Self Portrait?

Choosing an interesting location will help make your Self Portrait  stand out. Also, make sure that the background isn’t cluttered or full of people, cars or other distracting elements. You want your self-portrait to be more about you, not the background. There are a few options to shoot your self-portrait such as parks, school campuses, and urban/city landscape. EXTRA TIP: Try not to shoot in public areas alone for safety reasons, but if you have to, shoot in well-lit, populated areas during the day.  If you can, shoot a Self Portrait on your own turf—home or apartment, do it! I’ve gotten some of my best photos in my backyard.

Lastly, show your best styled outfit for your Self Portrait and show a style you’re comfortable with. If you ever choose a style that isn’t part of your brand or preference, it will convey in your photos. Choose wisely and have fun with it! Don’t take your shoot seriously! Relax, have fun and be yourself! Your personality will shine through!

I hope these tips helped you on how to take the best self portrait. I will go more in depth on the cameras settings that would be best used for self portraits in a future post.

Blog Post-9

Tell Me…

Have you ever taken a self portrait? What were some of the problems you experienced, if any?

Advertisements

53 thoughts on “How To Take The Best Self Portrait|Self Portraits Tips for Bloggers

1. Vee says:

Great tips. Thanks for the Point & Shoot recommendations, I’m in the market for one. I own a Canon PowerShot SX40 that I use for video and photos (sometimes) but I need a smaller camera for everyday. I’ll check those out.

2. paryslikethecity says:

This post couldn’t have come at a better time! Thanks!! I have a Nikon D5100 and bought a tripod yesterday. I just spent some time working on self portraits, but the one thing I couldn’t figure out is how to set my focus correctly. Any suggestions? The “outtakes” from my practice session are on my blog if that helps any with your answer.

3. KiwiTheBeauty says:

We have the same camera yay! I want more lens (Come On Santa) but yeah interesting enough I haven’t even thought to take my own pictures yet on it hmmm…time to get a tripod! Thanks for the tips!

• thelovelyphotog says:

Oh wow I didn’t know we had the same camera! That’s cool! You should definitely get a tripod and try it out. It’s kind of fun practicing with it. Plus it’s a great bonus for your website! 🙂

4. KiwiTheBeauty says:

We have the same camera!

It’s weird I haven’t even thought to really take my own self-portraits with it yet. I need to go ahead a buy me a tripod anyways so this was a good reminder to do so! Thanks for the tips hun!

5. Marilyn Jernigan says:

I’m not a photography buff by any means, but I can use the tips on lighting. I took photography classes in high school and I hope to have the time to return to it someday…soon. Thanks for the tips.

• thelovelyphotog says:

I would’ve loved to have taken photography in high school. I would definitely be much further in my career than I am now 🙂 If anything, it would be great to try it out and get creative with photo taking. It’s a really great past time 🙂 You’re welcome and thanks for reading!

6. perfecttenn says:

I have a DSLR on my wishlist, but it’ll probably be a while before I get it. I’ve been looking at the Canon Rebel T3i for some time now. I’m glad you shed some insight on which DSLR’s you recommend.

Thanks for sharing these tips!

7. thechicsahm says:

These tips are great!! I just received a big girl camera as a gift and am still learning how to use it. It isn’t a DSLR but it does do amazing pics. I’m adding a tripod to my Christmas list. I have the hardest time trying to make sure I’m getting the right amount of light in my photos. My pics either come out spectacular or horrible, LOL!!

8. Natasha B says:

I shot with the D3000. I have the standard 55mm and a 300mm telephoto. I’ve been in the market for a 50mm 1.8 lens. I have drop the hint to the hubby this Christmas. You take some gorgeous photos. xoxo

• thelovelyphotog says:

Thank you! I definitely agree. I take as many as I can to make sure I get a good shot, but when shooting clients I’m going to try and get the shot right the first time to lessen the shoot time. Digital cameras are definitely a godsend. Lol 🙂 Thanks for reading!

9. Sandra from It's Tidy Time says:

Very well done, thanks so much for the post! Really great topic and completely relevant 🙂

Great photo by the way! Stopping by from SITS:)

10. Meranda@Fairytalesandfitness says:

I posted my question on the Sits site, but I’ll post again here so you see it! I share my blog with my sister. Do you have any tips on how to take a two person picture with out it looking cheezy or school girl-ish? I definitely know that we need to update our picture!

• thelovelyphotog says:

I would suggest taking lifestyle shots or action shots. Drinking coffee, walking, laughing while both of you are on your laptop..etc instead your standard portrait poses, this will give your blog more of a personal feel 🙂 Follow my photography on pinterest for visual posing ideas 🙂 @leshabrewer If you have any more questions you can email me thelovelyphotog@gmail.com I’ll be glad to answer any questions you may have 🙂 Thanks for reading!

11. corliem says:

Great tips!
    I often travel alone and end up with loads of travel photos but none with me in it, I always wish I was in more pics, I think that would make my blog be much more personal.

12. talitha haynes says:

Great post. I have been on YouTube looking at different ways to shoot. My problem is if shoot at my apartment there are to many cars in my background. So location is everything. Coming to from SITS girls

• thelovelyphotog says:

I also live in an apartment, but I take advantage of local parks and gardens to take outdoor pictures. Location is everything , so searching for the perfect place will be your first step 🙂 Thanks for reading!

13. cruz258 says:

I recently bought a used Canon Rebel t3i and I love it but I feel like I have so much to learn. The camera and two brief lessons from a friend have done wonders for my blog pictures! Maybe I’ll attempt a self portrait next. Thanks for the tips!

• thelovelyphotog says:

That’s a great camera! Start from the basics, read the manual, purchase photography books and particularly Canon Rebel guides and you’ll be on your way. There’s always something new to learn when you own a digital camera. Take one thing at a time and you’ll be fine. Photography friends are definitely great to have to learn from. Study hard on lighting, focusing and composition and your next self portrait will be awesome!. Thanks for reading 🙂

14. theseanamethod says:

I just love the very idea that you can take your own head shot. Most people stress about this, because photography can be very expensive. It is definitely worth trying in your own backyard and seeing if you can find one you like — don’t even have to pay to develop film anymore!

• The Lovely Photog says:

Photography can definitely be expensive but there are ways to get around spending so much at one time. That’s what I hope to offer to my readers and viewers, is ways to achieve what you want on a budget. 🙂 Self portraits are great to try. Trying is the first step 🙂 Thank you so much for stopping by 🙂

15. Heather says:

These are great tips! I use an old canon rebel with a 55mm 1.4 for my portraits. What lens would you suggest for taking photos at a wedding? I see photographers with these huge lenses and I always wonder what they are using.

• The Lovely Photog says:

I love using my 50mm lens. It’s really great for portraits. I would recommend a 70-200mm f2.8 or a 28-70mm 2.8. These are both great lenses that wedding photographers use. I hope to add them to my collection as time goes on 🙂 Thank you so much for stopping by my blog 🙂

16. Pam says:

Great tips! I rarely ever take a self portrait, but I really should do that more. Our family albums sometimes look like there is no mom! Happy SITS day!

17. ygladney says:

I have yet to take a self portrait as I already know it will be a challenge. But, I really need to work on doing so as it is becoming necessary.

I simply do not have enough photos of myself for anything!

Very impressive Sis!